Look at the following
Small Talk topics.
- Complimenting Someone’s Clothes
- Leisure Activities
- Favorite Movie
- Favorite Music
- Sharing News and Information
Now look at the following Business Small talk topics:
- Work and location
- Transport for work
- Work in general
- Education and training
- News related to the company or industry.
- Favorite systems, platforms, tools.
- Travel questions (especially if the other person if from a different country/state/place)
- Places to go for lunch, meetings, etc.
Did you notice the difference?
So, Small talk is a polite conversation about unimportant or uncontroversial matters, especially as engaged in social occasions.
Business small talk is vital to building networks, initiating good communication, helping you to understand the people you do business with, and feeling comfortable in professional situations.
Let’s have some
Business Small talk!
Look at the following questions and answer them in the comments:
- How much overtime do you usually work?
- What is the overtime policy like in your company?
- What type of projects do you work on?
- How many people do you have in your team?
- Do you go on business trips at work? Where?
- What is the weather like in your country?
- What is the lifestyle like in your state?
- What risks does your company come across?
Want to practice even more?…